What Is Black Mould?
You may have seen sensational news reports that warn about the dangers of “black mould” or “toxic mould”. These reports can be alarming and confusing so it’s beneficial to get the facts to better understand mould.
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mould often called black mould, and it does produce allergens and irritants. However, many types of mould can produce allergens and irritants. Treat any mould with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mould.
Learn more about mould and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mould Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mould?
Since many types of mould can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the colour or type of mould. In many instances, multiple types of mould may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mould problem, contact SERVPRO of Hamilton, Mohawk immediately.
If You See Signs of Mould, Call Us Today – (905) 296-2701
When water intrudes into your property, mould growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mould facts:
- Mould is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mould spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mould spores thrive on moisture. Mould spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mould remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mould may return.
- Mould often produces a strong, musty odour, and that odour can lead you to possible mould problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mould growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Hamilton, Mohawk is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities: